- Peel, core and slice ripe Jonathon apples.
- Put them in a deep saucepan and just barely cover them with water with a little lemon juice added.
- Simmer until mushy soft,
- Mash the apples up with a potato masher.
- Add cinnamon and sugar to taste and simmer for 30 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ½ teaspoon of real vanilla extract per cup of applesauce and stir thoroughly.
- Immediately spoon into canning jars and follow canning instruction or place in freezer.
- The applesauce has a smooth, mellow flavor and a slightly chucky texture.